Sunday, January 1, 2017

Is It, Or Isn’t It, Cold Outside 
    We have a quandary. During this time of year, where it can get extremely cold, well, below zero and such, we like to keep track of the temperature. It sounds simple. We have a thermometer out on the patio which we have no reason to believe is inaccurate. But there are times when it is hard to see, so we fall back on the reporting of the outside temperature on Lorraine’s phone, her laptop, my laptop, or my desktop. You’d think that these weather reporting websites could agree, because they surely must be getting their information from the same place. But not so. For instance, on my laptop browser home page there is a small weather screen that shows the current temperature. If I click on that screen I get a more complete view of the weather. But low and behold, these two screens can’t even agree on the outside temperature. 
    Why? I have no idea. They don’t disagree by much, but three or four degrees? Give me a break. I mean, in any locale there is usually at least one place that keeps track of the temperature, like an airport, or some other reasonably responsible entity. 
    So, who is feeding my websites the weather information? Is some huddlehunce in each location stepping outside every once in a while, tapping his twenty-year-old Walmart thermometer, and putting the results on the web? 
    Obviously, this whole situation needs more research.

No comments: