Saturday, December 3, 2016

Do We Need Better Mice? 

      The medical journal “Cancer Research” reported that some mice got cancer when fed emulsifiers. Now emulsifiers are used in all kinds of foods, so this information is supposed to be pertinent to us. 
     The experiment consisted of three groups of mice. Two groups were fed emulsifiers and one group was given water. From the sound of it, the two emulsifier groups didn’t get any water, so had to drink the emulsifiers. Anyway, the two emulsifier-groups had “changes in intestinal bacteria that promoted inflammation and colon cancer.” 
     From the tenor of the article, I was led to believe that this was a bad thing. 
      Thinking about this I was wondering what would happen if instead of drinking my daily quota of water I substituted some liquid chemical mixture. Maybe like Coca Cola or some such. I’m guessing that even if the chemical mixture is benign, that that quantity of it would still cause some strange things to happen to my physiology. 
      Then again, the answer might be that we just need to recruit better, more durable, mice. Anyway, it does give us one more thing to be concerned about.

No comments: