Monday, May 2, 2016

Landscape Services Seem To be Changing 
      No longer do I see a barely English-literate individuals creeping through the neighborhood in a twenty-year old beat-up pickup, with some kind of ancient lawn mower in the back, all of which is covered with dust, rust, and debris. Things are changing. 
      This is what I imagine the lawn care industry is coming to.
      Joe, president of Central Oregon Landscaping stops by in answer to my call looking for someone to mow my lawn. He’ll pull up in a new Ford F-250 pickup, pulling a trailer that carries several pieces of equipment and numerous smaller pieces of yard-care paraphernalia. Neither the truck, trailer, or any of the equipment has a speck of dirt on it. 
      After Joe’s pickup glides to a stop, Bill, his chauffeur, will jump out, race around the front of the truck to open Joe’s door. Joe will be dressed in a lightweight Brooks Brothers suit, including a dress shirt, tie, and Italian loafers. After introducing himself he will hold out his hand and Bill will pass him a laminated menu of Central Oregon Landscaping services, including prices, which Joe will pass on to me. 
      After a brief glance at the menu, the next thing I will know, Bill will be holding a camphor-stick under my nose to help me recover. Once I’m back on my feet Bill will bring out a brief case in which he’ll have numerous second mortgage forms from various lenders to facilitate customers in financing Central Oregon Landscaping’s services. 
      Once Bill and I agree on a fee for the one-time edging, mowing, and cleanup of my small lawn, a third helper will be getting one of the mowers down from the trailer. Bill will take Joe’s suit jacket, hang it in the truck, and will then help Joe into a clean and pressed jump suit. 
      It will take Joe about ten minutes to mow the lawn, while Bill is doing the edging and the helper is starting the cleanup. 
      Twenty-five minutes after pulling up in front of my residence, Joe is back in his suit jacket, the equipment is back in the trailer, and Central Oregon Landscaping is pulling away to its next appointment.

No comments: