Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Two Observations on My Last Blog 

     My last blog was about a man who walked into a Texas church shot two people who died, and was himself immediately shot and killed by church members, who were carrying fire arms. 
     Two observations come to mind. One: I can hear people saying, “See, if there were no guns this wouldn’t happen.” And that’s surely true. The dilemma, for me, comes in how to get rid of the guns, or in fact, get rid of anything a great many people want and think it is their right to have. Prohibition springs to mind and we know how well that worked. Legislation didn’t work for that and I can’t see it working for guns, at least not in a Democracy. I don’t have an answer, just an observation. 
     The second observation; I’m sure these church members were praying for God’s protection. But obviously they believe that God expects them to do some of the work. I am guessing that along with the prayers for protection they also pray for a quickdraw and a steady hand. 
     Somehow this attitude appeals to me. God gave us brains and I think he expects us to use them. 
     I don’t see this as a lack of faith but a belief that God intervenes after man has used his God-given abilities to the fullest. 
     Now, why bad things happen to good people? That’s another subject entirely.

No comments: