Tuesday, May 20, 2014


Things To Consider

From My Journal

December 2004

            The other day Dorothy (sister), or maybe Ted (brother-in-law), asked if we had seen the story about the guy who was trying to sell his grandfather’s ghost on E-Bay. This should be interesting to watch. If this guy is successful everybody will be trying to sell the family’s ghosts. Pretty soon ghosts will be so cheap they will have to be packaged by the dozen to hit an economic break even point. One of the obvious problems will be quality control. How do I really know I’m getting the ghost or ghosts I’m paying for? If the ghost doesn’t appear or haunt according to specifications do I get my money back? (Maybe I bought a friendly ghost only to find that the ghost turns out to be sullen and troublesome. Of course, if I got sold, I might turn sullen and unfriendly also.)

     I can see two new industries springing up from this. First is the Ghost Quality Professional,(GQP). This is the person who will check out a ghost before the sale is consummated. And only with their guarantee will a ghost bring the highest price. Then there will be the used ghost market. When I get tired of my acquired ghost I could trade in the ghost or just sell it to a used ghost dealer.

     But let’s not overlook the ethical part of this possible new trend. Isn’t selling a ghost much the same as slavery? And what do you do with runaway ghosts. First of all, just finding them has got to be a challenge. I think bloodhounds might be too bright to cooperate in such an endeavor as tracking a ghost. Once you track the ghost down, how do you get it back to the rightful owner? Do you buy two seats on the plane or can you get by with just one? Do you need handcuffs or can you just make the ghost promise to behave?

     This whole thing will take a lot more thought. Preferably from someone who cares.


Marketing or Coercion?

January, 2005

 A week ago yesterday the sermon in church was about stewardship. You know, financially supporting the organization. Of course they mentioned that the church expenses included such mundane things as heating and air conditioning. To make this point, they had the heat turned down rather low. At least it seemed like it. I’m not sure whether that’s marketing or coercion.

Here’s Mine, Take It - - Please! 

February, 2005

I think we’ve stumbled onto a solution to a major problem. Everyone complains about getting junk mail, well, not quite everyone. The 9th circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a lower court ruling saying that inmates of prisons have a right to get junk mail. It seems that a prison in Washington State withheld junk mail from its prisoners on the basis that junk mail made the prisoners harder to manage and was also a fire hazard. The prisoners sued and the court said--well, I’ve already told you that. So I, as a party of one, and I’m unanimous in this, am donating my junk mail to these poor abused prisoners. They are welcome to the catalogs, ads, offers, and other trash that clogs up my mailbox.

No comments: