Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Dixie Peach Pomade 

    A mind that has been around as long as mine does some strange and wonderful things, or maybe not. 

    I was sitting at my desk thinking about the plot to a story I am writing when the remembrance of Dixie Peach Pomade slithered its way into my thoughts. Why you ask? I’ve no idea. For those men who can recall the 50’s you will probably remember Dixie Peach Pomade. I don’t know how widespread its use was, but in the Northwest is was a must have for cool teenage boys, or men, as we knew we were. 

    Fifties hairstyles were such that we needed help to keep those ducktails in place. That is just one style example. Think Fonzie in Happy Days. 

    Now Dixie Peach Pomade was a substance much like Vaseline salve, with something in it to make it smell more like aftershave than something medicinal. It was nearly the same consistency. I would rub it into my hair and then comb that hair into whatever style I wanted, and it would stay. Much like a heavy application of hair spray today. 

    The only thing that I had to remember was to not put my head against anything I did not want to get greasy, and to stay away from open flames. But once applied that ducktail would stay in place whatever I did. 

    I see that the product is still out there. I wonder who is using it and what are they using it for?

No comments: