Wednesday, August 21, 2019

TELEMARKETERS ARE GETTING DESPERATE 
     Between my cellphone and my landline phone I get at least several telemarketing calls each day. I’ve signed up for whatever don’t-call-this-number sites and services that are available and I call-block all numbers from callers that get past that. The problem is that I will get a call from the same telemarketing entity several times per week and each call will come from a different number. 
    It is somewhat interesting. To start with I am listening to a recorded voice, or a real person following a specific script. If it is a real person anything that forces them away from their script discombobulates them to the point of not being able to answer a simple question. 
    Occasionally, if my life is lacking in entertainment at that moment, I will lead one of these callers on until I get to a real person, where I will ask some questions as would any sane buyer. This is not appreciated, and here again, the caller will only be able to respond to whatever fits into their script. 
     But yesterday telemarketing reached a new low. I got a call and the whole pitch was in Chinese, or some other oriental language. No English at all. I would like to talk to the originator of this marketing strategy. Whoever it is, they don’t mind playing the long odds. 
     I’m now wondering how soon before I start getting calls in Swahili or somesuch.

No comments: