Monday, July 16, 2018

The News and What to Do With It 
    I glanced at a picture connected with a news report. It showed two young boys, I’m guessing at the gender, who were covered with mud, from the hair on their heads to their feet. In the background were a few other people, also covered with mud. 
    My first reaction was that these two children belonged to some remote tribe in maybe New Guinea or Africa. And not knowing more about it than that my second thought was, ‘Well that’s interesting.’ 
    The next instant my eye caught a reference to their being from Detroit, and my next thought was again, “How sad.” 
    I get put out with people who base their whole response to life around them, such as politics, for example, by just reading the headlines, and here I was doing the same thing. 


     In Ottawa, Ontario, that’s in Canada, they have an annual ten-day music event called Bluesfest. This year, as they were constructing a stage for the performers, they discovered a Killdeer’s nest with four eggs in it. This brought the whole operation to a halt. They are now waiting for Environment Canada to decide to either move the nest or to incubate the eggs. 
    I couldn’t believe what I was reading and what they were considering. Incubate the eggs? Really? That meant that they were separating the children from the parents, just because the parents had made a poor decision. Now if someone I could mention, but won’t, had suggested separating these kids from their parents, the Internet and all the other media out there would have lit up like the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, and be having a field day castigating the perpetrator of such an idea. 
    Right now the Canadians have a guard protecting the nest. 
    Also, it seems that in Canada the Killdeer is a protected species. If Canada needs more of these birds there are many areas in the USA that would probably be glad to ship them some Killdeers. Just a thought.

No comments: